Monday, February 19, 2007

Froogle is Taking Sexy Back! Censorship for Lingerie Stores

I have been diligently working our stores inventory. In the background froogle automatically gets our feeds. I began to notice that only 15 of our 300+ products were showing up on froogle.

So I decided to manually enter a product. When I got done with the description and tried to enter it, I got a message froogle does not allow the word "sexy".

Back in January I noticed that my website was flagged as adult content. The word "lingerie" immediately makes a website adult content in google search engines. This is fine by me, as I am not comfortable with an 8 year old viewing our website. However, this is pretty extreme.

I wonder how this is going to come out in the wash. I wonder if froogle is going to offer an adult area to sell these goods in the future?

Quite frankly I wish google or froogle would ignore these words as it so hard to keep up with the search terms people use, that do nothing to describe an item. Examples: Hot Lingerie, Trashy Lingerie, Sexy Lingerie, Erotic Lingerie, Exotic Lingerie, etc...

I wonder how the lingerie store webmasters are going to go. Choices are to tone down descriptive words to be included in froogle, or keep the words and rank high in adult content search engines.

Here are some words I have figured out that are censored
Google: Lingerie, Erotic, Exotic
Froogle: Sexy, (I am not sure yet about lingerie)

If anyone knows of words to add to the list let me know and I will keep this updated

No comments: